Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Well, That's Just a Myth


Up until today, I have been relatively quiet when it comes to politics, and even more so when it comes to having any sort of discussion on the topic of religion.

However, I read an article online, written by Kari Huus (msnbc.com) in regards to an Atheist billboard that was scheduled to be erected in a heavily Jewish neighborhood of New York City, when at the last minute, the owner of the site backed out. The billboard apparently displayed the words:

You know it’s a myth…and you have a choice.

That fact that this Atheist group wishes to display their billboard for the entire world to live and breathe isn’t the offensive part. Catholic groups express their thoughts on a pretty regular basis when dealing with sensitive topics like abortion and birth control. And whether you like it or not, all people in this country have the right to their own opinion.

For those of you who think otherwise, the First Amendment of the Unites States Constitution states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It really isn’t up to me to judge a sect of people that chooses to - or not to - believe in a higher power. After reading the words on the billboard - which were displayed in English and Hebrew - I was most offended by the word, know. This little ten word sentence indicates that this group of people knows indefinitely - and beyond a shadow of a doubt - that religion, and God - is a myth. Any given person on trial in a United States courtroom isn’t given that much certainty!

I see so many people pointing the finger at religious groups for being offensive, ridiculous, overly conservative, and even crazed lunatics. But I already know that I have a choice, so please don’t patronize me by stating the obvious and then try to coerce me into thinking that I don’t.

I chose to believe, because without my faith, I would feel empty inside. My moral compass is founded on what I believe could happen to me after I pass. Call me traditional, call me religious, call me ignorant, call me what you want - but I have lost far too many loved ones to not believe that there is something truly magnificent for them (and me!) on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment